Our Pom Pom Springs palette was inspired by the gorgeous city of Palm Springs, California. The shades were named after attractions and events in the desert, and we'll break some of them down with this post. First, a little info...
Palm Springs is a colorful, diverse city and only a 2-hour drive from both Los Angeles and San Diego. Palm Springs is known for old Hollywood glam, and even though the mid-century modern vibe is still popular and easily identifiable, it has become a hot spot for tourists of all ages thanks to spring break, fun concerts, Coachella, Stagecoach and millennial-focused events.
Palm Springs is located in the Coachella Valley, which consists of 9 desert cities and some unincorporated communities. Coachella and Stagecoach are located in the city of Indio, which is like a 25 minute drive from Palm Springs. Fun fact - Coachella is a festival, but it's also a city name. Coachella fest isn't located in the city of Coachella, though - it's located in Indio, right next door!
WHEN TO VISIT
Summers in Palm Springs get hot hot hot. For locals, we don't blink an eye at 115 degrees [air conditioning is life!]. Hotels during summer are MUCH cheaper than the high season, which is typically November - April/May. If your plan is to lounge by the pool or enjoy some delicious restaurants, summer is the perfect time to check out Palm Springs.
During season [November - April/May], hotels are more expensive, but there are more things to do as well. The weather is almost always perfect - February temps average high-seventies! Taking a trip downtown to explore the walking sights won't leave you with heat exhaustion.
The high season also holds Coachella, Stagecoach, Desert X insta-worthy art installations, Modernism Week (for those who are fans of mid-century architecture) and a number of other amazing events.
WHERE TO STAY
- The shade Saguaro in our Pom Pom Springs palette was inspired by the saguaro cactus of course, but also the Saguaro Hotel in Palm Springs. The bright colors of the hotel make it a fun place to stay. El Jefe is an appetizing restaurant located in the Saguaro and their jamaica lavender margarita is not to be missed. Plus, the Saguaro is only a quick drive from downtown.
- If you prefer a whole house to yourself, shade Burton is named after the chartreuse door from The Burton House Palm Springs, a mid-century marvel with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, perfect for the whole gang. And yes, it has a pool and spa!
WHERE TO EAT
Let's get to my favorite part - the food.
- For breakfast, hit up Elmer's Restaurant. The pancakes alone are to-die-for. It's walking distance from the Saguaro Hotel Palm Springs.
- For lunch, I would not pass up Sherman's Deli. I have never had a bad lunch or dessert from there. It's very close to downtown, so it gets packed quickly.
- And dinner - Oscar's in Palm Springs gives you dinner and a show. Fridays and Sundays feature female impersonators, and you can check their calendar for other weekly events.
WHERE TO PLAY
- If you want to take up day trip up the mountain, shade Tramway was named after the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. It's about 20 degrees cooler up there, so if you're here during summer, it's a nice break from the heat. There are a couple restaurants, a gift shop, and perfect hiking trails. In the winter, there is a ton of snow -- don't forget your jackets!
- If you enjoy a good drink with good company, shade What A Drag was inspired by many of the popular Drag Queens in Palm Springs. A simple search will lead you to drag bingo and drag brunch. The Ace Hotel in Palm Springs also offers drag trivia nights, among a number of other activities (day clubbing by the pool, craft beer night, tarot readings, etc).
- Pool lounging? There is no shortage of that. The Saguaro, Ace Hotel, and Arrive Palm Springs all have lively pools for everyone who wants to Flamingle.
- Palm Springs is also known for colorful and bright doorways. There is even a book dedicated to all the fun doors in Palm Springs! Shade Door Tour was influenced by this Pink Door and all of the bright entrances around the city.
- And if you're a fan of money machines, Agua Caliente Palm Springs is a fun casino, but I adore their sister casino - Agua Caliente Rancho Mirage. It's about 15-20 minutes away, but the whole atmosphere, food and vibe is better in Rancho Mirage.
Do you have any favorite Palm Springs hot spots? Comment on any of our Instagram posts and your favorite spot could be added to our next Palm Springs inspired eyeshadow palette.