Let’s talk face primer! Do you use primer on a regular basis? Do you know what primer is?
When I first started using primer, I would just swipe a bunch over my face with a brush not really knowing what it was doing. When I finally took the time to research correct primers for my skin type, I started seeing a difference in their performance.
WHAT IS FACE PRIMER
Primer is a product you apply over skincare and under makeup. It creates a barrier between your skin and your foundation. It helps fill in lines or pores, makes your foundation go on smoothly, and can help it last longer.
Even though I love primer and think it’s awesome, primer is an extra step you might not necessarily need. Sometimes, great skin prep is all you need. If you follow a proper skin care routine and see no difference in primer vs non-primer, skip it. And you don’t have to apply primer all over your face. Spot treatment over areas of concern – like the pores around your nose or smile lines – is just fine, and how much you use is just dependent on your skin type and texture.
There are a number of different primers in different finishes:
- Some help absorb oil and leave a matte finish, which is perfect for oily skin.
- Some give your skin a hydrated, dewy glow, which is perfect for dryer skin.
- Some are tinted purple, green or yellow to help color correct rosacea or sallowness.
Out of the hundreds (thousands maybe?) of primers available, these are my top 3 favorites:
Skindinavia The Makeup Primer Spray – Oil Control
This lightweight water-based primer slows oil production, contains no silicone, and helps minimize the appearance of pores. This is hands-down my favorite primer for my oily skin.
Smashbox Photo Finish Reduce Redness Primer Color Correcting
This green-toned face primer color-corrects redness, blurs pores and fine lines while evening out the skintone.
Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer
This primer contains coconut water, which is known to be super hydrating and helps blur pores and imperfections, leaving behind a dewy glow.
HOW TO USE FACE PRIMER
- Start off with a small amount (about dime size) in the center of your face and blend outward. If you have extremely dry skin, you can apply almost a quarter-size amount.
- If using a spray primer like Skindinavia The Makeup Primer Spray – Shake well. Hold the bottle 8-10 inches from your face and spray 2-4 pumps in an “X” & a “T” pattern.
- Give the primer a full minute to set before applying foundation.
- If it starts to pill, you’re applying too much.
- You don’t have to apply all over – if your main concern is pores, just apply primer over your large pores to help fill them in.
Primer creates a barrier between your skin and your foundation to help fill in lines or pores and make your foundation go on smoothly. There are different primers for different skin types, and my top 3 are above.